Saturday, December 1, 2007

I'm a sucker for the awesome extras

My friends can pick my type of guy after a minute of scanning the bar. Essentials: tall, dark hair, nice smile, beefy looking, like a baseball or football player. Awesome extras: glasses and an accent.

My most recent ex-boyfriend had all the essentials, plus the accent. Needless to say, I cringe now whenever I hear the Australian accent. More on him later.

The previous ex before him had the essentials plus one awesome extra: the glasses. Oh man, was he cute. The night I met him, he was on his phone in the parking lot, wearing a dark blue jacket and wearing those thick Emo glasses. He looked like the Verizon guy, except way hotter. Trust me, he's way better looking.

He was talking on the phone and my friends and I were making fun on him, since it seemed like he was having an intense conversation. Our eyes met and I gave him my signature coy smile, then looked away.

He approached me later on that night and introduced himself as the manager of the restaurant. Swoon! As a newly 21 year old, it doesn't get any better than a hot guy that has the power to give you free drinks at the hottest Taco Tuesdays bar in town.

We flirted for a bit and then he walked away.

"Give him your number," Punk Rock Girl said.

"No, he didn't ask for it. He would have asked if he was interested."

"He's totally interested in you!!! Just give him your number. He's so hot!"

I shook my head. It wasn't really my style to give my phone number away to guy that never even asked for it. But it was Punk Rock Girl's style. 

As I was chit-chatting with our group of friends, Punk Rock Girl and The Blonde wrote down my cell number on a napkin. Verizon came back to talk some more with me and my friends. As we were talking, Punk Rock Girl tucks the napkin inside his shirt pocket and looks him dead in the eye and says, "This is Curlygirl's number. You should definitely call her."

Man, do my friends embarrass me.

But, he did call. 6 days later at 2am. I didn't pick up. Ummm... seriously?!

I went back to his restaurant the next night with my friends. Verizon seemed excited to see me and quickly approached me.

"You didn't call me back," he said.

"Yeah, I wasn't sure I was going to considering I thought it was probably a booty call or something."

"Why would you think that?"

"You called me at 2am."

"Oh..." Verizon looked apologetic. "I'm sorry, I wasn't thinking. I had just gotten off of work."

He apologized again and offered me a margarita. Then we began dating.

We dated for a few months, then he disappeared. Without warning, without a reason. Just fell off the planet. I was a wreck. I couldn't stop crying. Somehow, I felt this deep connection with him that I never felt before and I couldn't shake. He called a couple months later and I happily took him back, too scared to ask for a reason why he left. He bailed a month later the exact same way.

6 months past and I called him because I was lonely one night. He picked up the phone and I left to go over to his place. Being around him always felt right, even though I knew he was completely wrong for me.

I moved back to the other side of the state, back to my hometown, a couple of years ago. I go visit my friends from college every few months and the last time I saw him, I had purposely left my necklace at his place in hopes to see him two days in a row. He ignored my phone calls and text messages, until an hour before I was due to fly back. Prick.

That was the last I heard of him. I ignored his text messages saying that he missed me. I started dating the Aussie and changed my phone number. I was done with Verizon.

Up until a few weeks ago. I was lonely and drunk (sensing a pattern here) and text him happy birthday, even though his birthday was a few days before. We are now in the throws of another text messaging affair. I haven't told my friends that I've started conversing with him again. They'd kill me. He knows this and teases me about it. He actually has started hinting that he wants to come visit me. I'm supposed to pick out a four or five star hotel and we're going to hole ourselves up in one for a weekend. We'll see if that ever happens. Part of me would love to see him again, part of me hates myself for talking to him, and part of me just enjoys the attention. Oh how I love the attention sometimes...

No comments: